Re: Was: How To Take Along A One-Year Old... Now: Driving Safer

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Was: How To Take Along A One-Year Old... Now: Driving Safer
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:50:39 -0800 (PST)
Dan DiBiase SEZ -
> I agree, but I also think the times were different 'back in the day'... No
> massive SUV's or pick-ups on the road,

Well, not *as many* pickups on the road, but a whole bunch of Impalas,
Coupe deVilles, Galaxie 500s, Roadmasters, Lincolns, etc.

>                                         I think the onset of an electronic
> safety device for every possible type of potential road hazard also leads
> to a less alert driver, as we figure, 'Hey, my car sends power from the
> wheels that slip to the wheels that grip, so I don't need to be looking
> ahead for black ice!'...

Agreed.  You don't need to know how to drive a car anymore, just
steer it around.  And, of course, if you do out-dumb the car's systems,
there are a half dozen airbags which will save you (or kill you).

> Of course, a group of kids romping around the interior of a car would
> certainly be a distraction...

We always used to stand up on the floor behind the front seat in
my parents 58 Chev Belair.  That was also the first car I ever drove,
when I was six.

--
David Breneman                     | "Just because something doesn't
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  do what you planned it to do