Re: How To Take Along A One-Year Old In An MGB

To: "MG List Postings" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How To Take Along A One-Year Old In An MGB
From: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:19:55 -0500
I am very big on  both vehicle safety and child safety to the point of
annoying folks.  However, IMHO, there are several risk factors that come
well before the crash worthiness of the car itself.  These are more or less
in the order in which I view their importance - but could be persuaded to
reconsider!

1.  Proper Use of Restraints
2.  Sobriety
3.  Alertness
4.  Driving attitude (Judgement, Defensiveness, Aggression, Territoriality)
5.  Driving Skill (Experience, Coordination, Reaction Time, etc.)
6.  Vehicle Maintenance (note that this is the first factor not directly
related to the driver)
7.  Road Conditions (as relate to Capabilities of the Driver AND Vehicle)
8.  Traffic Conditions
9.  Speed (relative to the above three)

I have no data to back this up, but I feel my child is safe in the family B
in a booster, with an individual at the wheel who is: sober, wide awake and
paying attention, declining to engage in road rage or take risks,
benefitting from good skills and experience, sure that the car's systems are
all working, choosing to drive in manageable conditions, choosing to drive
in manageable traffic, and avoiding excessive speeds for given conditions
and abilities.  Of course, none of this guarantees anything (my personal
greatest remaining fear is the anavoidable deer).  The key to the decision
is to visualize how you would feel if something did go wrong.  Are you
prepared to take the responsibility for the outcome?  If so, I personally
think a good driver with good judgement in a good car is not particularly
putting children at great risk.  It would be interesting to view child
injury/fatality data for the crash worthiness of the vehicle versus other
factors.  That is, "How do kids usually get hurt in cars?"  Not just "Which
cars offer the greatest protection in the event of a crash?"  I hope it
would back up my gut feeling on this issue.  If not, I would perhaps have to
re-check my gut.  One thing I am sure of, my child is safer in my B properly
restrained than in a Ford Excessive flopping around in the back few rows of
seats.  I see that scenario all too often and can only imagine the soccer
Mom's shock and dismay at the extent of her child's injuries upon having a
minor fender bender in the mall parking lot.  In many regards, SUV owners
seem to think their special vehicles have special powers over physics - but
don't get me started.

Dean
Safety Fastened