Re: OD transmission

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OD transmission
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 12:51:34 -0800
on 4/2/03 12:23 PM, c mondialo at cmondialo@hotmail.com wrote:

> Will a LH MODEL O/D TRANS FROM A 77 TO 80 MGB fit on a 74MGB?  Any issue with
> the gear oil check point through the floor?  How difficult is the swap out
> from standard to O/D?  Thanks
> Charlie 74bgt

1. It fit my 66 MGB, so should be no problem with your 74. And you won't
have to swap the flywheel, rear engine plate, and starter like I did.

2. That tranny does not have a oil-level dipstick. You have to fill it
through a plug in the side. When it overflows, you know it's full. This has
its advantages (no oil drips on carpet) and disadvantages (access).

3. You may need a different length driveshaft. The Moss catalog driveshaft
listings should show what you need.

4. You need to wire up an OD switch. You could buy the OD harness, or just
rig it up yourself. It's an extremely simple circuit. Make sure you wire up
the lockout switch, or you will doubtless leave the switch on and blow the
OD within the first week.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149