dashboard conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: dashboard conversion
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 14:45:30 -0800 (PST)
This has probably been covered ad infinitum before,
but I have no idea how to search the archives of this
list, or whether or not there even ARE archives...

Here goes:

I'm getting ready to pick up a 1971 MGB roadster I am
in the process of buying from another lister, and one
of the first orders of business will be to restore the
interior.  I am not a fan of the "Abingdon pillow"
style of dashboard on the '71, and would love to
replace it with an earlier style metal dash.  I have
two questions:

1)  Is the earlier metal dashboard a direct bolt-in
proposition on the '71?  If so, does ANYTHING carry
over?  Any of the gauges or anything?  Or do I have to
replace everything?

2)  If it is NOT a direct bolt-in replacement, I
assume a swap to the 1972 dashboard (with the
glovebox) is an easier job, correct?  Does anything
carry over is this scenario?

Thanks in advance,
- Paul
(Soon to be 1971 MGB Roadster owner)