Re: dashboard conversion

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dashboard conversion
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 17:31:12 -0700
The dashboard conversion, using a 72 dash in a 71, is just a straight bolt
on. But there are differences. The oil pressure gauge is electrical on the
71 but  on the 72, it is a manual (connected with a small copper oil line
that goes to the engine). Otherwise the gauges should interchange on the
dash. The 72 also has an air duct/louvre in the center - I'm not sure if
you could connect that to anything on the 71, but thats probably no big deal.

Going with the earlier metal dash is a bit more complicated. I haven't
tried it but it has been mentioned on the list. I believe a metal extension
has to be added to that piece that the dash board attaches to as it is
wider on the earlier cars (it was reduced in size to accomodate the larger
plastic dashes). The gauges are also different with larger tach/speedo and
a combo oil pressure/water temperature gauge on the earlier dash.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B