FW: Headlight Trim Ring & Fresh Air Intake Leaks

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Headlight Trim Ring & Fresh Air Intake Leaks
From: "Lysander Meath Baker" <lysander@meathbaker.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 00:57:30 +0100
I've recently battled with the headlight trims on a 78 RBB. There is a
spring clip at the bottom, not exactly on the centre (it is British car so I
*can* spell centre correctly...) line, but towards the outside of the car,
and the rings sit behind some tiny lugs at the top. I found that pulling on
the inside edge of the trim next to the lamp resulted in the tool popping
out as you describe (I think the trim just bends), and in the end the
technique I used was to pull from the outside edge of the trim. One came off
reasonably easily, but with the other my wife had to use the blade of a
screwdriver on the side to stop the trim from slipping back into place. I
was then able to work the tool round to the spring clip and eventually got
the trim off. I seem to have different designs of clip on each side.

Good luck! Getting them on again is fun too...

Lysander