Re: From disc to wire wheels-shim question

To: <BarrMark262@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: From disc to wire wheels-shim question
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:35:24 +0100
Definitely reset the end-float.  Even if you used the same bearings (which
would be unwise penny-pinching) the hubs are probably slightly different
dimensionally.  What are you doing at the rear?  The steel wheel axle is an
inch or so wider than the wire wheel and this made the tyres rub on the
arches, particularly the left, even though I used special conversion hubs
that are machined to fit closer.  I tried harder springs, which worked, but
gave a poorer ride and handling.  In the end I bit the bullet and had a
complete wire wheel axle refurbished and used that - no more problems.  If
you do replace the axle you should replace the handbrake cable too.