Re: what car was it?

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: what car was it?
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@teradata-ncr.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 08:52:07 -0400
>>I can't believe that at one time in the 70s I actually considered buying
an X-1/9.

Reaally !!!!. I thought they were great cars for their time. The mid- 70s to
the mid 80's
were a total disaster for the automobile industry. The cars being produced
were truly
atrocious with mediocre styling, meager mechanics, performance that is
laughable and
handling that could well be described as "jelly-like". Quality was an
afterthought.

What car was available in that time period that could be described as
entertaining ?

Austin Ambassador, Ford Escort (USA), Chevette, Vauxhall anything, any car
out of GM
with a couple of exceptions like the Fiero - even the Corvette was
"emasculated". The
Japanese were just starting to get it together, with the Civic Si and a
couple of Nissans.
The only cars that were even half decent were the Germans, the original Golf
GTi was
like a ray of sun - peaking through darkened skies.

Fiat and Alfa were both struggling, although the latter did have the AlfaSud
- great car.
lancia had lost its place and was trying to figure out what direction to go

The French were producing their own versions of cr*p, R5 - LeCar !!!,
although the R5 Turbo
was a truly fantastic car.

I'm not even going to mention the products coming out of the UK, the people
there were
still blaming the Germans for losing the war!!!! wandering why their own
economy was
a shambles (that why I left !!!)

So the x1/9 was a true breath of fresh air - at least in the USA. It handled
as if on rails,
great brakes, a bit low of power but brought a big smile to your face. Don't
knock the car,
at the time there was precious little else
Gerry