Re: Camshaft

To: "Gregg Baker" <gbaker@customcpu.com>, "MG Board"
Subject: Re: Camshaft
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 17:35:55 -0500
At 11:09 AM 4/13/03 -0800, Gregg Baker wrote:
>.... now I'm into a complete rebuild.
>   Has anyone tried Moss 'Fast Street Cam' and if so what did you
> think?  Who makes it?

Yes, and I like it a whole bunch.  Crane Cams, part number 342-0010, series
and grind number F-222/280-2-10.

>  What about pushrods and lifters, do the stock ones fit OK or did I miss
> something?

Avoid the Crane Cams 3-piece tubular pushrods that have a habit of falling
apart before the first oil change.  Stock valve gear works, but uprated
valve springs are recommended to avoid valve float at high speed.  This cam
has a bit more lift than stock, so watch out for interference between the
exhaust valves and the top of the block.  You may need eyebrows (which are
easy), see here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/power/cm202a.htm

Find more information about the practical use and installation of this cam
check here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/power/pp202.htm
Watch out for the specified 6 degree change in cam timing (which the
vendors conveniently fail to mention), but you don't need any expensive cam
sprocket to do this.  Find lots of detail information about this cam on the
Crane Cams web site starting here: http://www.cranecams.com/master/toc.htm
Browse the Crane web site for information on application, installation, cam
timing, valve head clearance, and much more.

>    Are there different quality of bearings made (rods&mains) or are they
> all just about the same thing?

Yes and yes.  If the oil is clean and the oil film never breaks down the
bearings will last forever.  If the oil film does break down, any bearings
will perish almost immediately.

>What about rings?

I like a 3 (or 4) piece oil wiper ring with chrome edges better than a one
piece cast oil ring.  4 rings may be better than 3, but 5 rings is
definitely overkill.  Some odd pistons have odd width rings, so not all
rings fit every piston.  Most new pistons come with rings included.  If you
are buying new rings to fit old pistons, be sure you know the groove width
so you get the right rings to match.

>    I believe the sage advise I've always heard about a complete rebuild
> is to always replace clutch, oilpump and never try to clean out the used
> oil cooler and lines.

Sometimes I ignore sage advice (okay, lots of times).  I often re-use a
pressure plate if I know the history of the part.  I will re-use a clutch
disk if there is very little wear on it.  I always replace the carbon
release bearing (and wouldn't touch a roller release bearing).  I have
never refaced a flywheel in my life (never had one scratched).  I always
replace the bronze bushing in the clutch release arm, usually replace the
pivot bolt, and replace the slave pushrod and clevis pin when worn ( which
is nearly always).  I will always inspect and test an oil pump and will
re-use it if in good condition (which is most of the time).  I have not
replaced or ever tried to clean my oil cooler in 15 years and 175,000
miles, even though it has been hooked up to a few different engines.  But I
do change engine oil on a regular schedule.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com