re: interior kits

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: interior kits
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@teradata-ncr.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:57:39 -0400
If we are talking of just the carpet kit - I have had much better
luck with local automotive upholstery shops. They have a variety
of different quality carpets in endless colours.

There are no complex shapes in an MGB (except for trans tunnel),
most of the carpets are flat panels with bound edges. I usually buy
a couple of yards of carpets, use the old ones a templates and then
proceed from there. Any edge binding is done by the upholstery shop
at reasonable rates. I think I paid $80 for the carpet (a fairly thick
"wilton" type) and the edge binding ran less than $50.
I have found that use the best quality spray contact adhesive works
better against the heat generated in the cockpit (from the trans tunnel).
3m makes a heavy duty contact spray adhesive.

Gerry