Re: interior kits

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: interior kits
From: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:21:19 -0400
Brinkman, Gerardo V (GB127167@teradata-ncr.com) wrote:
> If we are talking of just the carpet kit - I have had much better
> luck with local automotive upholstery shops. They have a variety
> of different quality carpets in endless colours.
>
> There are no complex shapes in an MGB (except for trans tunnel),
> most of the carpets are flat panels with bound edges. I usually buy
> a couple of yards of carpets, use the old ones a templates and then
> proceed from there. Any edge binding is done by the upholstery shop
> at reasonable rates. I think I paid $80 for the carpet (a fairly thick
> "wilton" type) and the edge binding ran less than $50.
> I have found that use the best quality spray contact adhesive works
> better against the heat generated in the cockpit (from the trans tunnel).
> 3m makes a heavy duty contact spray adhesive.

That's not a bad idea, I've been trying to figure out how to redo my
carpets cheaply. My problem is, the carpets that are in there are in
tatters. They're not original and must have been of incredibly poor
quality. I'm concerned with my ability to use them as templates because
they don't seem to fit well, and they're not exactly in wonderful shape to
be used as a pattern.

In a 74 with a center console, how hard is molding flat carpet to the trans
tunnel. I had heard that the center console provided you some wiggle room
with any wrinkles. Now if I could just buy the molded tunnel and wheel well
bits and roll the rest myself.

Chris Thompson
1974 MGB Chrome Bumper Roadster