RE: Goodies for MGBs

To: <jimbb88@usa.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Goodies for MGBs
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:08:45 -0700
Jim,

That is exactly what I want to make.  I know a bit of wire will do but I,
personally, would like something a bit more substantial. I thought a
stainless steel rod with appropriate hook to attach to latch lever, rod
goes through the hole with correct size grommet, and a screwed on nub that
stops the rod slipping out and can be pulled to release the bonnet with a
detachable handle.   Someone told me he would not like a permanent handle
under the wing so that anyone could open the bonnet.......I dunno....but
the detachable handle would not cost much ...just another piece of rod
pushed through the nub.

Do you remember my fight with getting room for an electric rad fan.  Well,
I managed to get a Perma-Cool 14", 2,950cfm 3 3/4" thick in.  I had to cant
the rad forward, shorten the bonnet latch arm (thus my interest in a
emergency release)   I have just about 1/4 clearance between the fan motor
and VW pulley.  The garage found a VW pulley that fitted perfectly.   I
have bought myself a digital camera so I am attaching some photos (will not
be received by other listers).

At 06:15 PM 4/18/2003 -0400, Jim Stuart wrote:

>I can solve the bonnet problem for pennies- even Canadian pennies.
>
>1 piece of mechanic's wire about 20" long with a small loop twisted in one
>end. The other end is fastened to the bonnet release arm located under the
>slam panel- same place where the cable connects. Run the end with the loop
>through the hole in the inner fender where the wiring for the lights pass,
>on the driver side. This hole is below the top of the grill, & the wire will
>not show.
>
>To access, turn the steering wheel, grab the loop & pull.
>
>Works with chrome & rubber bumper cars.
>

>Jim Stuart

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson
barrier@bconnex.net

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of V8
in garage - Full view.jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Rad gap.jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
rad & fan at front.jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]