RE: Distributor clamp nut and bolt

To: "List" <list@marketvalue.net>, "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Distributor clamp nut and bolt
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 22:39:58 -0500
At 05:46 PM 4/19/03 -0600, Larry Hoy wrote:
>My 7/16" box end fits, but the open end is too tight.  So I decided to
>replace the nut.  It seems neither a fine thread, or course thread nut
>will fit the bolt.
>
>The bolt appears to be the stock bolt (square head).

This sounds like it might be an 11mm hex nut, which is about .005" larger
than 7/16".  If you bought a new bolt and nut set recently, I wouldn't be a
bit surprised if it was a 6mm bolt.

We seem to be getting some metric/SAE hybrid fasteners as replacement parts
recently, most notable from the Far East (I think).  I recently purchased a
new set of clutch pressure plate mounting bolts, which are supposed to be
5/16-24 with 1/2" hex head.  They had the right thread, but the head was
definitely 12mm, so I suppose it was cut from a stock 8mm bolt
blank.  Unfortunately I was on a tight schedule to deliver an engine, so I
marked all of the bolt heads, and I had to notify the customer that he
would have to add a 12mm socket to his tool kit if he didn't eventually
replace the bolts with the correct parts.  At least it wasn't in the car yet.

Bummer,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com