LH overdrive cutout

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: LH overdrive cutout
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:31:17 -0500
An appeal to the tranny rocket scientists.

I'm about to do the conversion. '67 MGB 3 synchro to all synchro w/OD. The
particular transmission going into the car came out of the old '69
primrose. There is a small problem, however.

When the primrose was still working, the OD didn't always. Bear in mind
this tranny has been out of service for four years.

The first indication is that whenever I'd switch the OD in I would
generally have to hit the switch two or three times before it would engage,
at least until I'd been driving for a while. This was true from the time I
got the car.

Also it would occasionally drop out of OD when the car had been running a
while and especially in hot weather. Once Jette and I drove it from
Nashville up to Cleveland in the middle of a heat wave. I found that the
only way to keep the OD working was to stop every hour or so and let the
car rest for ten minutes. The OD would then work without dropping out for
another hour.

Since it's out of the car right now, I've opened it up and pulled the
solenoid. It isn't binding or anything, but the outside casing has a slight
coat of rust on it. Since the solenoid is case grounded, I'm thinking that
merely cleaning the rust off and replace all the O-rings should make peace
in the valley again.

I'd like to see if it's easily fixable BEFORE I do the conversion, but as I
need the car for transport, the job goes ahead anyway and the worst case is
that I have a car with a working 4-synchro gearbox. If there are any
precautions I should take before putting it into service, I'd also like to
know.

Thanks.

Glenn

Glenn Schnittke