Re: LH overdrive cutout

To: "Glenn Schnittke" <schnittke@mindspring.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LH overdrive cutout
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:32:39 +0100
Because it drops out on its own I'd hazard a guess that the problem is
electrical, but diagnosis out of the car will be tricky.  It could be that
the override switch on the gearbox is marginal and screwing it in a bit
further, or removing one of the fibre washers (if it has any left) could
cure the problem, using an ohmmeter or test lamp you might be able to get a
feel for how much travel is left on the gear lever once the switch has
closed.  If there is none that could be the problem.  Alternatively it could
be a broken turn in the solenoid which opens up breaking the circuit when it
gets hot, closing again and making the circuit as it cools down, but I have
no idea how much heat is generated in the coil from the engine and how much
electrically.  This type of fault certainly occurs with ignition coils, and
if it came back on its own as you continued to drive this is what I'd plump
for.  Failure, or very slow to engage could be a hydraulic problem, but if
it was a case of flipping the switch back and fore was what made it work
then again I'd plump for electrical, this time anywhere in the circuit
including the manual switch and wiring.  Of course, you could have more than
one problem ...