Re: Radiator Fans (was Re: Miata seats)

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radiator Fans (was Re: Miata seats)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:08:27 -0500
At 04:25 PM 4/25/03 -0700, Paul Misencik wrote:
>I also heard somewhere that coolant helps lubricate the water pump and
>keep it working better, longer.
>
>Wive's tale?  Or just a tangent of the rust issue?

Should be wive's tale.  The water pump seal keeping the coolant in the
engine is a stationary flat faced carbon ring running against a polished
steel rotating surface.  If any of the coolant every gets past this seal,
we would hope it only drains out via the weep hole and would affect nothing
else.  The shaft bearings and oil seals are all ahead of this point in the
pump body and hopefully will never have anything to do with the
constitutuin of the coolant.

As a side point to this issue, when installing a new water pump you should
let it run dry at idle speed for a minute to break in and seat the new
carbon seal before installing the coolant.  I have never known this to
cause a problem one way or the other, but that's the designated procedure.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com