Re: swapping cams

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: swapping cams
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:44:38 -0600
At 05:15 PM 4/27/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>How tough is it to swap cams in an MGB with the engine in place? I am
>entertaining the idea of pulling the "showroom stock cheater cam" that
>I have in the engine now, and replacing it with one optimized for the
>blower.

I did it once, maybe 15 years ago, and it was actually an enjoyable
afternoon experience as I recall. It was relatively straight forward but
involved a fair amount of work - remove radiator, remove valve cover,
rocker arm, pull up tappets, remove timing belt cover. undo sprockets. I
don't remember if I had to drop the exhaust and open the covers to get the
tappets out. If so, the worst part would be the six bolts on the exhaust
flanges. But otherwise, it was just standard wrench turning stuff. I know
the car was only out of commission the one day I worked on it.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B