Re:swapping cams

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:swapping cams
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:26:46 EDT
In a message dated 28/04/03 10:25:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> >How tough is it to swap cams in an MGB with the engine in place? I am
> >entertaining the idea of pulling the "showroom stock cheater cam" that
> >I have in the engine now, and replacing it with one optimized for the
> >blower.
>
> I did it once, maybe 15 years ago, and it was actually an enjoyable
> afternoon experience as I recall. It was relatively straight forward but
> involved a fair amount of work - remove radiator, remove valve cover,
> rocker arm, pull up tappets, remove timing belt cover. undo sprockets. I
> don't remember if I had to drop the exhaust and open the covers to get the
> tappets out. If so, the worst part would be the six bolts on the exhaust

My recollection (although I have always done this job the conventional way,
out of the car) was that you need to disengage the auxiliary drive gears -
take the distributor and gear out, and drop the oil pan and remove it and
that gear, and if you have a 3 main, also the tach drive.

You definitely have to remove the rocker shaft, pushrods and tappets, which
means that the exhaust and carbs have to come off the side of the block.
Almost as easy to just pull the engine....

Bill