high idle-solved!

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: high idle-solved!
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:26:33 -0500
I have the high idle problem solved. For those of you who diagnosed an air
leak-you win the "help the idiot diagnose the problem" contest! Thanks to
all who offered advice and were patient with me.
Air was leaking around the throttle plate at the shaft/plate/bushing
junction. I caused the problem when I rebushed the carb and installed the
new bushings (supplied in Moss rebuild kit). The bushings were about 1/4
inch short on one side of the carb and about 1/8" inch short of reaching all
the way through the body on the other side. So when I installed them I made
it look "pretty" from the outside by placing them flush with the outside of
the body, not the inside of the carb body. This left an area around the
shaft that air could leak through. I solved the problem, hopefully
permanently, by using JB Weld to close off the area, then shaving off the
small amount of epoxy that got onto the bushing using a new 5/16" drill bit.
I now have them reinstalled and adjusted and they seem to be working real
well.
Any other novice mechanic that is thinking of using Jake and Ann Snyder's
instrucitons about rebushing carbs using the home-made reamer, should take
note of the above; it will save you a lot of time and heartache. I believe
the Snyder's article mentions the proper length of bushings, but that is not
what was in the rebuild kit. I'm sure any "real" mechanic that understands
carburation theory would have known to install the bushings in the proper
way.
Thanks again,
Monte
          79B, Carmine