timing question

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: timing question
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:49:45 -0500
This being only the second time I've ever adjusted timing, I have a few
questions.
Tonight after reinstalling the rebuilt carbs and adjusting the valve
clearances, I started to check the timing using my non-adjustable Craftsman
timing light. This is on the 67B with 1800V motor and an "L" on the head (a
lister once said the L means "high" compression; why not "H" for high, too
easy?)
When I used the light, the timing mark on the bottom pulley (crankshaft?)
was to the left of the first timing mark above it, which according to my
Bentleys would be TDC. Also according to the Bentleys, it should be 13
degrees BTDC. I'm assuming that this means my timing is way off. When I turn
the dizzy counterclockwise it causes the timing mark to move towards the TDC
mark. This means that I should move it counterclockwise until it is between
the third and fourth timing mark. This seems like a lot of adjusment for a
car that was running well before the carbs were rebuilt.
In the Bentleys, it says to set No. 1 cylinder inlet valve to .055 inches
clearance with a cold engine, then turn the engine until the valve is about
to open, and the lines should line up at TDC. It says you cannot check
timing accurately without doing this. I didn't do this when I set the timing
on the 79 last summer, so evidently I screwed it up even though it seemed to
run real well.
I first need to know where do I find the No. 1 cylinder inlet valve. Is this
one of the valve rocker clearances that I just set before adjusting the new
carbs? Do you have to take the valve cover off and do this every time you
set the timing?
Thanks,

Monte
          79B, Carmine