Re: timing question

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: timing question
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:09:12 +0100
An H or L in the engine number indicates compression ration - H for high and
L for low, this was the case on all engines.  Whether it still is, is
another matter.

Turning the distributor clockwise advances the ignition, anti-clockwise
retards it.  The usual way to determine TDC, if you think the mark on the
pulley might be incorrect which can happen if it has started to delaminate,
is to put a probe down No. 1 plug hole a known distance, turn the crank one
way till the piston gets close to TDC and contacts the probe, and make a
mark on the pulley by the pointer.  Then turn the crank the other way until
the piston contacts the probe again, which must be the same distance into
the cylinder as before, and make another mark on the pulley where the same
pointer is.  The mid-way point between the two marks on the pulley is TDC.
Unless you suspect the mark on the pulley, or the pointer, might be wrong I
have never heard of fiddling with valve clearances in order to check the
timing.  You just clip on the light and see where the pulley mark is in
relation to the pointer marks.