Re: Replacing rod bearings

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing rod bearings
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 12:16:31 -0500
Larry Colen wrote:
> The oil pressure in my MGB is starting to get a bit low (about 5 psi
> at idle, coming up to 45 at full chat when hot, or 55 at full chat
> when warm). Considering that of the 5,000 miles I've put on her this
> year, about 1,000 have been at the track, I think that I'll want to
> premptively replace the rod bearings.
>
> The last time I did this with the engine "in place", I lifted the
> engine a few inches so the oil pan could clear the cross member. I'm
> wondering if it might be easier the other way around, to drop the
> cross member to get clearance. I've never pulled a crossmember on an
> MGB, so I don't know just how much pain and nuisance I'm looking at,
> though I'd guess that taking it off is easier than putting it back
> on.
>
> Comments? Advice? Words of experience from others that have tried it?

On the later style crossmember, you can't get at the rear bolt without
taking apart the suspension (at least taking out the spring and pan).

I don't know about the early one, which I'm thinking you have.

Apart from that, 4 bolts for the cross member, the antiroll bar and
disconnecting the steering rack from the column is about it. And it
gives you the opportunity to replace the bushings between the frame
and crossmember.

It's pretty heavy.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155