Replacing rod bearings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacing rod bearings
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:55:10 -0700
The oil pressure in my MGB is starting to get a bit low (about 5 psi
at idle, coming up to 45 at full chat when hot, or 55 at full chat
when warm). Considering that of the 5,000 miles I've put on her this
year, about 1,000 have been at the track, I think that I'll want to
premptively replace the rod bearings.

The last time I did this with the engine "in place", I lifted the
engine a few inches so the oil pan could clear the cross member. I'm
wondering if it might be easier the other way around, to drop the
cross member to get clearance. I've never pulled a crossmember on an
MGB, so I don't know just how much pain and nuisance I'm looking at,
though I'd guess that taking it off is easier than putting it back
on.

Comments? Advice? Words of experience from others that have tried it?

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.