Heel and toe - MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Heel and toe - MGB
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 17:30:58 -0700 (PDT)
I just picked up my "new" MGB - a blaze 1971 Tourer
that I bought from fellow lister Dean Lake.  The car
is absolutely wonderful, and I'm grinning ear to ear
every time I drive it...

I just got back from a spirited blast through the
hills, however, and I find I'm having trouble using
the "heel and toe" technique to match revs when I
change down.  My normal technique is to sort of roll
the outside of my foot over and catch the throttle
with the right edge on my shoe while the left edge of
my shoe remains on the brake, but this approach isn't
working.  Under braking, the brake pedal (which feels
good and firm, incidentally) is too low (close to the
floorboard) relative to the throttle, and I can't roll
my foot over and catch it.  I can do it fine at idle,
but under braking, the brake pedal is too low.

Is there some different technique that's better for
MGB's?  If not, is there perhaps a modification I can
make to the pedal itself or perhaps its mounting that
would get the two pedals closer together?  I see Moss
offers a "Paddy Hopkirk Heel and Toe" pedal, but the
listing seems to indicate it won't work on post-1967
cars, and at any rate, it doesn't look like it would
help.  It seems to only make the throttle pedal wider,
which is not the problem here.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance,
Paul