Re: Socket for late MGB rear hub nut

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Socket for late MGB rear hub nut
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 18:04:14 -0700
on 5/5/03 5:26 PM, James Feyrer at james.feyrer@Dartmouth.EDU wrote:

> I am in the process of replacing a bad real wheel bearing and just
> discovered that my 1-1/4" socket is too small and my 1-3/8" socket won't
> fit in the wire wheel hub.  Apprently, the nut is 1-5/16".  Will a
> standard Craftsman 3/4" drive socket fit inside the hub?  If not, any
> suggestions for sockets with a thin enough wall to work?

I think some people have reported the Craftsman doesn't fit (too big O.D.).
I used to have one that does, I think it might be Thorsen brand. I would
take a careful measurement before going socket shopping, and take my
micrometer with me. It'll be close no matter what.

> On more question.  Will a standard hub puller do the job on the wire
> wheel hubs?  Any other hints on the rear axle strip would also be
> greatly appreciated.  I have the Lindsay Porter book and am using it as
> a guide and it seems reasonably straightforward.  My apologies if this
> has been talked about to death in earlier threads.  Thanks in advance
> for your help.

IIRC the axles on mine just came out with a moderate tug. What I have had
trouble with in the past are the grease cups. YMMV...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149