Re: Socket for late MGB rear hub nut

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Socket for late MGB rear hub nut
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 23:41:37 -0500
<<<Snip>>>
I think some people have reported the Craftsman doesn't fit (too big
O.D.)
<<<snip>>>
It depends on when it was made.  Back in the 60s and early 70s they used
thinner walls.  Go to hock shops and dig through their piles of stuff.
You might find one.  The markings will be much lighter and the material
visibly thinner.

The thinner wall sockets were before "home" mechanics began taking
advantage of Sears' unconditional guarentee.  A man earning his living
using his tools took better care them.  He couldn't afford the down
time.  When I worked for Sears while going to college, we got all sorts
of worn stuff in deliberately broken for replacement, breaker bars with
pipe ring marks, ratchets used as hammers, regular sockets hammered with
impacts, etc.  All were replaced, but the replacements got beafier, ring
spanners thicker, some styles deleted, etc.  It did make them stronger,
but it also made them less likely to fit in real close quarters.

Blake