RE: "hanging" revs...

To: "'Paul M.'" <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: "hanging" revs...
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 14:04:46 -0700
Paul:

When you slam the throttles closed, the mixture in the engine goes
imediately rich until the unburnt fuel in the intake tract is used up.

This is an emmision no-no.

The system is designed to over-run slightly to allow the fuel to burn out,
that's what the gulp valve does.  In fact in some instances the air injected
into the manifold under high vacuum conditions will cause the engine to go
lean, increase in speed and give a few backfires.

Disconnecting the small vacuum sense line to the gulp valve will defeat this
system.  But, as you say "if it aint' broke".

Kelvin.