Re: "hanging" revs...

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "hanging" revs...
From: "schooler" <schooler@member.afa.org>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 17:57:33 -0400
Paul,

That is annoying, isn't it?  When I picked up my '69, brand new, that's how
the engine behaved.  Slow to return to idle rpm.  Caused by the emissions
control equipment, primary the gulp valve and the throttle butterfly poppet
valve - both dump fresh air into the intake manifold on overrun.  The reason
they do that is to prevent backfiring in the exhaust system.  And, of
course, the reason that the backfire occurs is the fuel-rich mixture being
exhausted upon overrun meeting the fresh charge of oxygen from the air pump.
Bang.  Pop.  Pow.  Also annoying. The fresh air (diverted from the air pump
by the gulp valve and from the poppet valves dilutes that fuel-air mix
enough to prevent the backfiring.

That characteristic was the primary reason I removed all the emission
control equipment from my car - to included replacing the throttle discs
with solid ones.  I know of no other solution, and defer to wiser folks for
that answer.

Bill