wiring connectors

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: wiring connectors
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:13:20 -0500
I spent some time (finally!) in the garage over the weekend (during
the Wild game!) and was trying to debug my radiator thermo switch
problem.

The wires that go from the thermo switch have high resistance. It was
cutoff at 6-8 inches when I got the car, but I bet it was just a solid
part of the wiring harness originally. Anyway, There is exposed wire
right at the point the the wire comes out of the casing. I've taped it
up, but  it's still not good.

I've looked on Moss and British Wiring, but neither have that connector.
Is there a source for them.

I may not need it, however, because I don't think the switch works
either. I tried resistance thru it while the engine was running
cold and at temperature, and never got any. Also, I plugged in power
at one end (with the suspect cable, now I'm thinking). And didn't get
power through it with a known good ground.

This is a 1977 'B and it has an aftermarket electric fan, installed as
a puller. Which works fine.

I'm thinking of looking for an aftermarket temperature sensor/switch.
How do these work? I think Monte was messing with that last year. Monte?
Are these readily available at the usual suspect stores (NAPA, AutoZone,
etc.)?

I replaced the switch last year, and it worked fine. So I'm a bit miffed
that it failed after just 1 year. But it might be the exposed wire
shorted out on the hose clamp, as there is little/no clearence for that
connector into the thermo switch.

Also, I picked up a set of '91 Miata leather seats with speakers for
$40. They are cleaning up well, and a friend is going to fix a couple
little rips (rub on the driver side bolster).

Anyway, I'd like the connector for the speakers to hook up. I'd rather
not cut the wire since if I sell the seats in the future back to a Miata
person, they'll still work. Any idea where to get this connector?

Thanks,
Paul.
'77B

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155