Re: Looking for a 1" front MGB swaybar

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Looking for a 1" front MGB swaybar
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:09:00 +1030
Larry Colen wrote:

> Over the weekend I did a test installation, clamping a second swaybar
> onto the 7/8" swaybar I have mounted on my MGBGT. While it's not a
> scientific test, nor is it quantitative, subjectively, on public
> roads, the car does feel better. As I've only driven this set up on
> public roads I have no idea what it does at the limit (on the track)
> but I now feel comfortable enough that stiffening up the front will
> improve rather than worsen things, to look for a 1" swaybar.

Wow - 7/8" was enough for me - how has it effected the steering/cornering?

I know that the main effect going 7/8" had for me on public roads was to
increase the amount that I felt every little bump.  Driving it hard at
the track I found it introduced a significant amount of understeer. The
first hairpin I hit at speed proved that to me and certainly caught me
by surprise - ending in a cloud of dust and grass clippings with a
tyre-wall only a few feet in front of the car.

I was then looking at stiffening the back-end further.

It only took a few laps to get used to the changed handling and now I
find she "points" better and certainly keeps the opposite (to the turn)
rear wheel on the ground better, which was the aim in the first place.

--
Eric
'68 MGB MkII