Belching Blue Smoke!

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Belching Blue Smoke!
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@teradata-ncr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:03:21 -0400
>Just returned from doing an errand, and about a mile from home, the '76 B
>(stock engine and Z-S carb) began spewing out a LOT blue smoke from the
>exhaust. It only happened under heavy acceleration - say, more than 1/2
>throttle.

If this happened suddenly (ie there was no indication prior to this
happening)
I would suspect the crankcase breathing system. I'm not familiar with the
76 system but it could be clogged or jammed open and the engine is sucking
in the oil through the breathing system. it occurred once on my 64. The
metal
PCV on top of the intake manifold jammed open and sucked oil into the intake

- looked like a crop duster until I figured out the problem. On my Jeep, the
same
thing happened - changing the PCV valve solved the problem.

Gerry