Re: Piston rings or valve guides, how to tell?

To: "Kendel McCarley" <kmmccarley@earthlink.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Piston rings or valve guides, how to tell?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 09:09:42 +0100
Generally a guide/seal problem shows itself as a big cloud of blue smoke on
revving the engine after a long idle.  Worn bores/rings can be determined by
doing a wet compression test (a teaspoonful or so of oil through the plug
hole) as well as dry and comparing the results.  Low dry and much higher
wets are an indication of bore/ring wear, remaining low is cracked rings,
valves, etc.  Is the engine newly rebuilt?  Some time is always needed to
bed in the rings, as long as the bores were honed after any rebore.