RE: Piston rings or valve guides, how to tell?

To: "'Kendel McCarley'" <kmmccarley@earthlink.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Piston rings or valve guides, how to tell?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 10:37:44 -0600
At 09:29 AM 5/26/2003 -0500, Lew Palmer wrote:
>The principle and procedure is the same. 110 PSI is closer to normal on
>a small engined car, but maybe still a shade low.
>
>Lew

When I bought my 71BGT, it seemed to run well but it got about 90 miles to
a quart of oil. Compression was a consistent 90 psi on all four cylinders,
warm, with or without adding oil. The only time I saw the cloud of smoke
was when I shifted gears and that still seemed barely noticeable. But that
was a sign of valve guides as the oil burning occurred mostly at conditions
of high vacuum (throttle closed). I removed the head and had the valve
guides knurled. That took care of most of my oil burning - I think I got to
more like 800 miles to a quart as I recall. At that time, I was driving my
car 104 miles a day round trip to work, mostly highway. I eventually
rebuilt the engine at a more convenient time.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B (assimilating the 71BGT)