Re: 69 MGC GT Alternator

To: "Jon Asdourian" <kriegerii@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 69 MGC GT Alternator
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:34:19 +0100
What type is it?  If it has the internal regulator (like the 69 B) and is
only producing that voltage then it is bad.  But what led you to replace it
anyway?  Where did you measure the voltage?  If two alternators measure the
same low voltage then I would suspect your measuring instrument or the way
you are using it.  But turn signals that only glow and do not blink does
indicate low voltage, however 11.66v is within the range of the instrument
voltage stabiliser so I would not expect the fuel gauge to read low, nor the
tach.  Is the ignition warning light working?  This is required to 'prime'
the alt so it starts charging at about 900rpm or so.  Without it a used alt
should start charging when revved to about 3k, then charge normally after
that down to about 600, but a brand new one straight out of the box may not.