RE: British Motoring

To: "'Chuck Renner'" <crenner@dynalivery.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: British Motoring
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:26:56 -0700
Too late.  I've been working in the business for too long.

I think you feel the effect of the blower a lot more on the RBB car, as it
is heavier and needs all the help it can get.  The biggest improvement is
going from the stock ZS set up, as in one fell swoop you lose the ZS carb,
log manifold, cat and smog pump.  Note: these kits are totally non-smog
legal.  The kits do come with all the block off plates and plugs necessary
to do the conversion.  One of the side benefits of this program is that we
will now be stocking air pump rail plugs and a block off plate and gasket
for the water port at the back of the head.  There is also a really cool
threaded alternator belt tensioner that I want to offer as a kit for
non-supercharged cars.

The supercharger works great on a stock RB engine.  The lower compression
gives a bit more room to saftely play.  The late distributor will work, but
not very well as it gives too much advance.  We found the early 62-67 off
the shelf distributor worked much better and recomend it.  The engine runs
much smoother than stock, probably because of more equal cylinder filling.
It accelerates more like an electric motor than a lumbering iguana.

There is room for discussion with cam specs.  Too much overlap will be
detrimental, but street cams such as the Crane or Piper 270 degree ones
should work fine and the increased lift will be beneficial.

Head porting is also an issue.  The nice thing is that the engine is no
longer relying on vacuum to suck the mixture through a meandering path.
This means that head work is less critical, and therefore less value for
money.  The important point to note is that a bolt on supercharger kit has
very good performance value for money.  Once other engine modifications are
performed the value for money starts to plummet.  You will again be getting
minor improvements for large outlays of money and or time.

Kelvin