Re: cigarette lighter in positive ground

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cigarette lighter in positive ground
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 08:23:50 -0700 (PDT)
MonteMorris SEZ -
> Tonight I installed a cig lighter receptacle in the 67 so I can charge up
> the cell phone on trips. Afer it was all wired in to the purple circuit and
> fused, I plugged the charger into it and it blew the 2A fuse that is inside
> the charger body. The ground wire on the receptacle's body was grounded to
> the car body and the hot wire was spliced into a purple one. What am I
> missing here? I'd imagine it would have to do with the positive ground
> system?

That's it.  Most DC power supplies are polarity sensitive.  Unlike
AC, which changes polarity with each cycle, most CD circuits will
(best case) not work or (worst case) self destruct when fed reverse-
polarity current.  You'll probably have to obtain another lighter
plug for your phone, open it up and switch the leads going to the
cigarette lighter contacts inside the plug.  If that task is too
daunting, what the heck are you doing with a yuppie cell phone in
your MG anyway?!  Next thing you'll be asking how to hook up a
DVD player or latte warmer!  :-)

--
David Breneman                     | "Just because something doesn't
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  do what you planned it to do