Re: MGB Hand Brake Questions

To: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: MGB Hand Brake Questions
From: Betti Ann & Preston Smith <prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 18:40:36 -0300
Paul!

Thanks for the note.

Backing off the adjuster did not work so i spent a few hours and removed
the whole brake assembly on both sides, cleaned and lubed them, and
reassembled and adjusted.  The problem went away.  Installed the new cable
with no problem (once I was told how to remove the abutment) and now all is
well.  Really saw nothing in the brake assemblies that I could blame as
being the cause of the brake activating in reverse.

Thansk again
Pretson

At 03:16 PM 5/29/03 +0100, Telewest \(PH\) wrote:
>Had exactly the same problem on my 75 V8 a while ago on a car I had owned
>for several years and done about 60k in.  No work on the car to precipitate
>it, it just happened.  As a quick fix I backed off the adjuster a couple of
>notches, later I dismantled the shoes and levers, could see no problems,
>checked the orientation, put them back, adjusted them as normal and no more
>problems.  A broken cable shouldn't precipitate this, the springs should
>pull the shoes right back and push the pistons into the slave cylinders, the
>levers should just flap free.  You do not remove the cable from the abutment
>device, you have to remove the seat that side and undo a nut which releases
>said abutment device from the tunnel.

---
Betti Ann & Preston Smith, Head of St Margaret's Bay, NS,
prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca
1962 MGA 1600 MK II, 1980 MGB Limited Edition
2002 Damon Challenger 335 Motor Home on 2001 Ford V-10 20,500 lb chassis