RE: British Motoring

To: "'Larry Colen'" <lrcar@red4est.com>,
Subject: RE: British Motoring
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:32:11 -0700
> Of course not. Besides there are so many other factors that enter into
> it. What has been done to the car, who is driving it, what tires are
> on it. I just thought that it would be a fun excuse to go head to head
> with you at the track.

        When I get a chance to bolt the cross flow head on my race car, I
may take you up on that.

> I understand that entirely. There are so many other things that enter
> into it, that you can't safely optimize for performance without
> knowing the exact cylinder head, cam grind, distributor, pistons. If
> you push too hard it WILL blow up someone's motor.  Even knowing a lot
> of this stuff, I'm showing just how hard it can be to optimize
> performance given certain parameters (i.e. street gas).

        I'm actually interested in seeing if I can run 87 octane in a 8.0:1
engine with blower.  I think with the optimal timing it is possible.   I
want my car to be a daily driver, so the cheaper gas is an issue.

> I've firmly convinced myself that closed loop fuel injection is the
> only way to do it. Ideally, mixture could be dependent upon throttle
> position and RPM as well, for extra cooling in "danger ranges".

        As you experienced, getting adequate fuel to the engine quickly
during transition is a problem.  We thought about a vacuum triggered fuel
injector, or carb with accelerator pump, but found the HIF44 worked ok with
modifications.  The above options would certainly take any setup to the next
level of instant horsepower.  Then, how about nitrous injection on top????

  When you were writing your
> instructions, did you by any chance have someone watch over the
> shoulder of someone not involved in the process of designing the kit
> as they installed it to find out where any ambiguities were? I sort of
> proved that if it's possible to misunderstand something, it will be
> misunderstood.

        I got to do the first install, and tried to act like an idiotic
robot.  Luckily the tough bits are done, as the carb, charger and intake all
come pre-assembled.  The most difficult thing for a home mechanic to do, is
undoing the crank shaft bolt.  In the FAQ I wrote, I suggested that if you
did not feel comfortable installing a timing cover seal, you should get a
mechanic to install the kit.  The FAQ is an ongoing project, as today we had
someone ask if the blower will bolt onto their air conditioned car.  Good
question, and one I hadn't thought of.  Of course, now I'm thinking.  All
you would need is a standard 4 row pulley for the AC, run a longer
serpentine.......NAAHHHHHHH.

Kelvin.

http://www.red4est.com/lrc