Re: Voltage Regulator

To: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Voltage Regulator
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:39:03 +0100
Jumped up?  A 71 should have thermal gauges that respond slowly to voltage
changes, if it jumped it sounds more like the mechanical shock of turning
off the light switch if it is close by, which I believe on the 71 it was,
next time try tapping the gauge after a run long enough to cause a visible
drop in level.  If the stabiliser fails it isn't a show-stopper, millions of
cars got by without temp gauges (on a 71 the oil gauge isn't fed by the
stabiliser), and the odometer should be good enough as a fuel gauge for a
while.  It's difficult to check the stabiliser as it actually switches 12v
on and off about once a second or so, averaging about 10v.  It could stick
on giving high readings, or stick open circuit giving zero readings.  If
both temp and fuel do similar odd things then the stabiliser or its wiring
are the likely cause.  If it is not securely screwed to the body making good
electrical contact it will give erratic readings, likewise any poor
connections to or from it.  If the oil gauge and tach are similarly erratic
it is more likely a bad connection in the green circuit, most probably at
the fusebox.