Re: Postmortem

To: Greg Myer <motorhead45@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Postmortem
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:08:02 -0700
On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:52:59AM +0000, Greg Myer wrote:
> Larry,
>             The picture of number 5 main does indicate foreign
> debris in the oil galleys. That means the block needs a
> through cleaning  inside. Cam bearings should be
> removed to get to everything.  Otherwise, that debris can
> move later and cause more damage....after all the other work
> is done.  Not a pretty picture.

I found it interesting to note that none of the other bearings showed
signs of extreme wear. The other thing that I noticed was that the
number 3 crank bearings (center mains, the ones that were trashed,
were narrower at the free ends than my other main bearings. If the
other mains defined a circle, the center mains were an oval, elongated
in the vertical and narrower in the horizontal. Just as one would
expect if one but a bearing on the table, round side down and beat on
it with a pipe, or a crank journal.

>       Speaking of pictures, your postmortem pictures are much easier to
> look at  than the ones on CSI, even though they're very graphic.

I find them rather disorienting. I can't look at them without getting
the feeling that I've lost my bearings.

--
                   Girling is not a verb.