RE: Riding high

To: "'Larry Hoy'" <list@marketvalue.net>, "'Max Heim'"
Subject: RE: Riding high
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:47:46 -0700
Sorry to come into the fray late.

Max is correct, as far as I have been able to fathom out.  If someone has
real evidence that the following is incorrect, please let me know.

This is my understanding:

The chrome bumper MGBGT V8 had a special raised subframe installed to gain
additional clearance for the V8 oil pan (and perhaps the exhaust, although
the exhaust is about the same size as the MGC).  This did raise the ride
height of the car.  In addition, larger tires were specified which also
raised the car slightly.

At the rear of the car, one end of the leaf spring mounting points was
elongated, to match ride height.  (I have only one source for this
information, so backup would be appreciated)

A version of this raised subframe was later used to gain height on rubber
bumper MGBs to meet the federal bumper requirements.

This is kind of like the cart and the horse story.  As far as I can discern,
we should be referring to the later cross member as a V8 design, not a
rubber bumper design.  This is similar to the change over to V8 spec
electric fans and forward mount radiator on the 77-80 cars.  The V8 stuff
came first, it was later used to meet federal requirements.

The US rubber bumper cars in addition had longer front springs, and in the
rear had both ends of the leaf spring mounting extended to make the car
about an inch higher than the V8.

Again, this is the conclusion I have reached after digging through many
books, parts manuals and owner observations.  I would be happy to hear from
anyone who has other information.

Kelvin.