MGB - 1970 Rocker Arm Cover Leakage

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB - 1970 Rocker Arm Cover Leakage
From: "John Graham" <theklube@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:13:04 -0400
Now that I'm beginning to drive the beast again, I'm looking to fix things
that I never got around to before - oil leaks in the engine area.  From what
I can observe, my leaks are coming from the rocker arm cover area.  I'm
planning to renew the gasket there, but in looking at the situation, it
appears that some leakage may be coming from the area of the front bolt
holding the cover down.

This got me to wondering if there might be a pressure situation in the
crankcase that was forcing oil out.  I looked the top of the engine over
(it's a 1970) and I didn't see any form of crankcase venting arrangement.
There's a little tube coming out of the back of the cover which is stubbed
off, but I believe that to be stock.

I can deal with the business of renewing the gaskets around the cover, but
is there some other situation that I should look into regarding this
leakage?  I haven't checked my compression in a while, but the engine runs
well, other than idling a little rough because the RPMs drop down to 500-600
when it's warm.  I think I just need to adjust that.

Thanks for your help,

John Graham - Charlotte, NC USA