RE: Head gaskets

To: "'Larry Hoy'" <larryhoy@marketvalue.net>, MG list
Subject: RE: Head gaskets
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:58:07 -0700
> What is the differnence in the 1962-74 head gasket (Moss #297-301) vs
> the 1975-1980 head gasket (Moss #297-321)?
>
> By the way, happy fathers day to all you fathers out there.
>
> Larry

Larry:

You are looking at the head gasket SET numbers, not just the head gasket!!

The head gaskets are the same.  The gasket sets are different as the late
one has the Cat. olive, rear of head water outlet gasket and a few other
Smog related bits.

Moss did list an early and late head gasket, but that was a Mossism.  The
early cars had a copper head gasket from the factory, the later ones had
composite.  Moss in their wisdom listed a Payen copper head gasket for the
early cars, and a Payen composite for the later.  In actuality the composite
was a supercession and was supplied for all years.  The Payen copper gasket
has now gone away and the best head gasket on the market is the Payen resin
impregnated gasket with red sealing material around the water ports.  This
is what is supplied by Moss under 296-405

Last year, we finally started to catalog the Payen gasket sets which had
been supplied intermittantly under the Moss numbers.  There is enough of a
difference in quality between the generic gasket sets and the Payen ones to
justify carrying both.  The generic sets tend to be good quality (Clough &
Woods, County etc) but are not as nice as Payen.  Just to add a bit more
explanation.  Payen supplies two gasket sets for the early car, one with
down pipe olives, and one without.  I decided we had better carry both, as
availability is sometimes iffy.  So that is why there are two sets available
for the early cars.

You asked.

all the best

Kelvin.