Re: Racing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Racing
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:06:21 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, the BMW CCA thought occurred to me, and I'm
definitely going to look into it.  I used to run with
the Porsche Club in Virginia, but they were all snobby
and wouldn't let any non-Porsches run (which I always
found amusing, because they'll let some guy with a
roachy 1977 924 run, but a new M3 is NOT ACCEPTABLE!)
But the BMW guys always seemed a lot more laid back
about that kind of thing.

I've decided to go part-time vintage racing with this
MGB, in the SVRA and HSR events.  I'll realistically
probably only do three or maybe four events a year,
starting in 2004, but the BMW club drivers schools
would be a good way to get some experience and a feel
for the car without the relatively high cost of the
racing weekends.  I appreciate your help.

My "team" (quotes intentional, because the "team" will
consist of me and my car) is called Sopwith Racing,
and I'll be posting the whole sordid saga on a website
- www.sopwithracing.com - as soon as I get everything
launched.  First things up are the safety equipment,
like a roll bar and catch tanks and and electrical
cutoff switch and fuel cell and all that other crap.
So much to buy...

I haven't actually installed the valances yet, but
they are on order, so I'll post a short description as
soon as I can.  I'm going to take careful measurements
- particularly with regards to ground clearance - and
also take some good before and after photos of the
car.  Hopefully, it will help anyone who's interested.

Thanks again,

=====
Paul Misencik
1971 MGB Tourer - Blaze