Re: '67B losing coolant.

To: Colin Brown <ccbrown@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: '67B losing coolant.
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:22:49 -0500
   Hi Colin,

     You've diagnosed it alright.  Leaky head gasket or cracks in the
head casting.  Those bubbles in the overflow are the giveaway;
combustion gasses in the coolant.  A way to make sure is to have a
mechanic stick an exhaust gas tester into the radiator and check for
carbon monoxide when the engine is running but it's a waste of money.

   I dunno if valve recession can cause cracks.  I suppose it depends on
how far the recession goes into the port.  In any event, I had a couple
of cracks in the squish area of the head I'm running on my '69 B now.
They were repaired by the plug method.  No probs in 3 yrs of running.

   My money's on a leaking head gasket but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to
have the head magnafluxed.

    Cheers,

     CR

Colin Brown wrote:
> I have now done some 16,000 fast & furious road miles  using Valvemaster UCL
> since leaded patrol became a no-no, so I have been watching carefully for
> signs of VSR.  ( BLMC 'B' 1.8 motor)

   SNIP