Re: optimal oil cooler position

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: optimal oil cooler position
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:55:48 -0700
I guess that demonstrates the futility of braided hoses. Mine are plain
rubber. I did deploy one of those indescribable factory "hose retainer"
dingusses, to keep the slack parts in front of the radiator from rubbing,
and it seems to have done the job. The segments behind the radiator are so
entangled with the ignition wires, etc., that they don't seem to have a
chafing problem.

I have no idea if these are equal lengths or not. Even when I removed the
engine I left them threaded through the radiator diaphragm and hooked up to
the cooler. I bet the only difference with the two sets is that you wind up
reversing the flow direction in the oil cooler, as follows:

A) long one runs from rear of engine to farther cooler nipple; short one
runs from oil filter adapter to closer cooler nipple;

B) swap either end and the hoses wind up with roughly the same span.

...but that is just a guess -- I haven't tried both sets.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149