Re: Wire Wheels - Grease of Choice

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels - Grease of Choice
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:20:30 -0700
Anti-sieze compound is a silver-colored lubricant.

Some people (including myself) seal the nipple ends inside of the hub with
silicone sealer, to keep the grease from leaking out. I just read an article
in British Car (or rather the successor mag) that said this could seal in
moisture and cause rusting, but I don't see how you'd get water inside the
hubs -- not in California, at any rate. Maybe spring driving through slush
in the snow belt... but then I see you're in NJ. In your case I still think
it would be OK, if you removed the wheels say, twice a year, and cleaned off
and replenished the lubricant. Which you should do anyway.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149