Re: 1974 MGB-GT

To: "F. Clayton \(Buddy\)" <buddyglas@snet.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1974 MGB-GT
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:47:00 +0100
First, with everything switched off and doors, boot etc closed disconnect
the battery ground strap with a fully-charged battery and connect a
test-lamp in its place.  Does it glow?  If so you have a significant drain.
If not remove the test-lamp and connect an analogue voltmeter on its 12v
scale in its place.  Does that show 12v?  If so you have a small drain, if
not you do not have a drain.  Note that you may see a few volts registered,
this is the normal reverse leakage current of the alternator diodes and is
not a fault, it is only a reading of 12v that indicates a fault.

If you have a drain the first thing to do is unplug the harness from the
alternator.  If the drain vanishes the alternator diodes are faulty.

If not remove the bottom fuse in the fusebox (should be between brown and
purple) and if the drain goes the problem is in the courtesy lights, horn
etc.

If not you could try removing the in-line fuse for the hazard flashers (if
you can find it) but that is not very likely.

If still present you will have to start isolating browns at things like the
ignition switch, lighting switch, starter relay, fusebox and solenoid to try
and find which one is causing the problem.