Overdrive care

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive care
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:06:06 -0400
In a message dated 6/25/2003 11:38:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> The operative phrase is 'you could'.  It won't do any harm (except wear
> other things out) but there isn't any point.  Given how American drivers are
> portrayed in films slamming in and out of all sorts of gears at random
> times, lurching from lane to lane, parking by bashing into oil drums and
> such, I am amazed at how many are so sensitive about using that little
> switch.

You might be close to being correct on the street, but you are quite wrong when
it comes to competition use of an overdrive. If you elect NOT to lift off the
throttle momentarily when engaging the overdrive, you WILL destroy the friction
surfaces - it is only a question of how long that takes, which in turn depends
on such things as how much torque you are putting through the unit.

And while the reputation of American drivers may be exaggerated a bit, there is
a whole generation out there for whom the term 'double-clutch' has no meaning.

Bill