Re: worthless chrome paint

To: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>, "Paul M."
Subject: Re: worthless chrome paint
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:08:29 -0400
Rocky Frisco wrote:

> The commonly accepted wisdom back when I was racing the
> MGA in the 60's was that chrome-plated wires were not as
> strong as the painted ones. I don't know it that's true, but
> thought I would mention it.
>
> -Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com

True, chrome plated spokes become brittle during the chroming process and
can break under load.  However, most new wire wheels sold on the market have
stainless steel spokes and only the rim itself is a chromed piece.  My
preference is for Dayton wire wheels, which do have the stainless spokes but
also the inner rim is sealed with a thick waxy like substance so that you
can run modern tires without tubes.  Daytons do command a higher price, but
their advantages are well worth it.

Kai